A little History of the Eglwysbach Show
Eglwysbach Show 70th Anniversary
For many years Eglwysbach show has been the biggest event of the year in the village and has been a must-see attraction in the North Wales summer calendar. The show has always been held on the second Saturday in August every year. Over the years the show has welcomed visitors and competitors from all parts of north wales and other locations such as Manchester and Birmingham.
Records show that Eglwysbach Show was founded in the 1940s but a printed schedule has only been recorded since 1954. The show officials at the time were Capt. E. D. Priddle-Higson as President, Owen Jones, Esq., Tymawr. as chairman, Hugh Jones Esq., Toppan as Treasurer, and Alun Jones Esq., Penloyn as General Secretary. The original founder committee for the show had 28 members which only included 2 females. Founder members Islwyn Williams, Peter Jones, Dafydd Williams, and Vicar Myfyr Parry built the marquees themselves in preparation to the show. The show was held in the village park field in the early years, then moved to Plas Llan Farm and Llwydfan, Tal y Cafn, and in more recent years it has moved to Henblas, Eglwysbach.
Competitions during the early years included Sheep and Cattle classes, Horse Gymkhana and Show Jumping, Vegetables, Flowers and home produce classes. During the 1950’s the show introduced a BSJA Show Jumping competition which brought many famous names to compete and crowds to watch. Many local farmers would arrive later to the show to watch the show jumping.
To ensure competitors in these classes the committee had organised buses to collect people from Glan Conwy and Llandudno Junction and then would return them at end of the day. One popular event that happened during the early years of the show was a Produce auction which gave local people to a chance to sell their craft work or home produce. Gwil Fron was known for selling his helium balloons to the children in the show and Mr Whittington made the food for visitors on the day many years ago and always wore his Chef Whites.
A competition that was always enjoyed by the locals was the Tug of War. Most people remembered the tug of war for various reasons but the most memorable reason was for being wet! Traditionally the competition was held over the River Hiraethog and the loosing team would always end up wet in the river. Very different to today’s competition. When the show was first founded the main raffle, prize was a pony. Elvira Crapper won the raffle pony prize one year. A Fordson Standard was used for the tractor and trailer reversing competition many years ago. It was a very popular competition between the young farmers in the village.
The show will also have many attractions to offer the young and old with over 80 trade stands, a funfair, cattle, sheep, poultry, light horses, a dog show and a speed shearing competition. The show is held on Saturday 13th August 2022 at Llwydfaen Farm, Tal-Y-Cafn LL28 5RU. A great day out for all the family, gates open 9.30 am continues to Grand Parade at 4 pm. Admission for adults £7.50, Children £2.50 – Free Car Parking (Please follow sign posts to carpark)